Monday, February 28, 2005

Another Tale of Grades Gone Bad

Since I can't think of much to blog about, I thought I'd share my grade stories too, although it took me a bit to come up with the good!

So, I have always considered myself a good public speaker, but maybe taking two speeches to state forensics in high school went to my head! In my somewhat arrogant state, I think I forgot to ever prepare for my speeches in my college public speaking class. Either that or I was trying to top Krista at extemporaneous speaking. Anyhow, I don't even remember what kind of speech we were giving, but I decided to tell about camping in Colorado. I told all about setting up the tent, going hiking, making s'mores, etc. I thought the speech went very well until I got my grade. He marked me down to a B because I did not explain technical terms such as s'mores! Come On!!! The funny thing was that when it came time for our demonstration speeches, a young man in our class brought in an electric grill and demonstrated how to make s'mores!

The worst I can think of was my Freshman year in junior high. I was taking geometry and we were studying right triangles. Somehow, on the day of the test I totally mixed up which side of the triangle was the hypotenuse. To make matters worse, each problem built off the one before, so if you screwed up the first one, you missed the next five or so! I could tell something was wrong when the teacher returned the tests and instead of giving me my test, she asked me to stay after class. I got a D!!! I can remember standing at my locker crying and then crying all the way to gym class. My saving grace was that this teacher was very generous with extra credit and I raised my grade back up to an A with one extra credit assignment!

One other funny note was my freshman year in Honors Composition. Keep in mind that the entire class was made up of students that had always excelled in school. The first day, the teacher proclaimed, "Everyone in here starts out with a C and it is up to you to raise it!" You should have seen all of the horrified faces!!!

1 comment:

Krista said...

Right-O. I remember that s'mores story! I don't recall ever hearing about the D in Geometry, though. Isn't it funny how dramatic we can get at a given point in life, but looking back it's rather funny? Or... maybe WE were the only ones laughing at your story? ;)